This policy applies to the handling of personal data. This is data relating to a living individual who can be identified from the data, or from that data and other information which we hold or which is likely to come into our possession. It includes names and email addresses of subscribers to our publications or personal details held in relation to our work for our clients. It also includes any expression of opinion about an individual or any indication of our intention in respect of them.
When we refer to “we”, “us” and “our” in this notice it means usually refer to MSM International Adjusters (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd. It also includes where relevant to your interest, survey, policy or claims.
When we say, “you” and “yours” in this notice, we mean anyone whose personal information we may collect, including: anyone who may benefit from or be directly involved with our business processes, including; claimants and witnesses.
We use personal information in the following ways:
You have the right to object to us using your personal information. You can do this at any time by telling us and we will consider your request and either stop using your personal information or explain why we are not able to.
We may use profiling and automated decision making, to assess risks, detect fraud, and administer your policy for survey or claims purposes. This helps us decide the best and effective ways to deliver our best service.
If you disagree with the outcome of an automated decision please contact our IT Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will review the decision.
We collect the following types of personal information about you so we can complete the activities in section 2, “How we use personal information:”
- basic personal details such as name, address, email address and contact no.
- family, lifestyle and social circumstances, such as marital status, dependants and employment type
- financial details such as direct debit or payment card information
- photographs and/or video to help us manage policies and assess claims
- tracking and location information if it is relevant to your policy or claim
- identification checks and background insurance risk details including previous claims information
- medical information if it is relevant to your policy or claim
- criminal convictions if it is relevant to your policy or claim
- accessibility details if we need to make reasonable adjustments to help
- business activities if it is relevant to your policy or claim.
From you, your representatives or from publicly available sources, including information you have made public, for example on social media.
From other persons or organisations, for example:
- credit reference and/or fraud prevention agencies
- emergency services, law enforcement agencies, medical and legal practices
- insurance industry registers and databases or other sources used to detect and prevent insurance fraud.
- Other insurance investigators and claims service providers including insurance company.
- insurers or service providers who underwrite the cover or provide the services for our service.
- other involved parties, for example claimants or witnesses.
MSM will only share personal data with those organisations that it is legally able to, and where sharing personal data is necessary, we will comply with the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA).
We may share your personal information with:
- other companies or units within the MSM’s business network.
- credit reference, fraud prevention and other agencies that carry out certain activities on our behalf, for example our approved suppliers or firm to help deal with claims or provide our services, for example; insurers, vehicle repairers, legal advisors, premium finance companies and risk surveyors.
- insurers, third party underwriters, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries, regulators, law enforcement. and other organisations that provide services to us or you
We use servers located in the MSM HQ at KL Sentral to store your personal information where it is protected by laws equivalent to those in the country. We may transfer your personal information to other units or vendor to manage your insurance claim; this could be inside or outside Malaysia.
These rules align with those required by the BNM & PDPA. If you would like more information about the data protection rules, please contact our IT Personnel.
We keep information only for as long as we need it to administer claims investigations, manage our business or as required by law or contract.
We will only retain the information if a business need exists. It is not kept longer than is necessary for that purpose. To this end, MSM has in place and applies a formal retention policy for recorded information.
You have the right to:
- object to us using your personal information. We will either agree to stop using it or explain why we are unable to (the right to object)
- ask for a copy of the personal information we hold about you, subject to certain exemptions (a data subject access request)
- ask us to update or correct your personal information to keep it accurate (the right of rectification)
- ask us to delete your personal information from our records if it is no longer needed for the original purpose (the right to be forgotten)
- ask us to restrict the use of your personal information in certain circumstances (the right of restriction)
- ask for a copy of the personal information you provided to us, so you can use it for your own purposes (the right to data portability)
- make a complaint if you feel your personal information has been mishandled.
- ask us, at any time, to stop using your personal information, if using it is based only on your consent (the right to withdraw your consent)
Complaints about how we process your personal information
If you wish to exercise any of these rights you can do so by contacting our Management at:
Address: Suite 3A-08, Level 8, Block 3A, Plaza Sentral, Jalan Stesen Sentral 5, 50470 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Phone: 60 3 2271 8888
Occasionally it may be necessary to make changes to this notice. When that happens, we will provide you an updated version at the earliest opportunity. The most recent version will always be available on our website.